Christmas is just around the corner and to get me in the mood I’m making Christmas inspired dishes in the kitchen these days.
Here’s a healthy salad with red cabbage and red brussels sprouts, orange, almonds and bread croutons, that you can enjoy by itself or as a salad on the side, for example with duck. I created it as an alternative to the traditional Danish Christmas dish; cooked red cabbage, that I’ve never liked.
How to make it:
- Slice the red cabbage into finer pieces
- Cut the red brussels sprouts into half’s and roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper for about 20 min. in a pre heated oven on 200 degrees
- Roast the almonds together with the brussels sprouts in the oven, but only for 10 min.
- The same goes for the bread croutons, here I used a glutenfree bread with lot’s of grains that I happened to have a slice of, but you can use any kind of bread – it’s just nicer to make your own croutons, it gives a different crunch compared to the readymade ones you can buy in the supermarket
- Finally peel an orange and cut it into pieces
- Save one piece of orange and use it as dressing with a little balsamico, olive oil, salt and pepper
And there you have it… a quick and easy, healthy Christmas salad, that’s not green for a change, with beautiful red violet colors. Enjoy!